What is an Energy Star Home:
"The blue ENERGY STAR label on a new home means it was designed and built to standards well above most other homes on the market today. When ENERGY STAR’s rigorous requirements are applied to new home construction, the result is a home built better from the ground up, delivering better durability, better comfort, and reduced utility and maintenance costs."
7 Reasons Why we build Energy Star Homes:
1. Energy Star Homeowners love them...
Just ask anyone who lives in a new ENERGY STAR certified home to go back to their old, inefficient home. You’ll likely hear that there’s no way they’ll give up the comfort that came with the ENERGY STAR label on their new home. From the moment you walk in the door of your ENERGY STAR certified new home, you’ll see, feel, and hear the difference. That little blue sticker means your home was built with the complete satisfaction of you, the home owner, in mind. An ENERGY STAR home is one that gives you peace of mind, enduring quality, wall-to-wall comfort, and proven resale value. Your home of the future…built today.
2. Utility Bills are lower
The cost of your home doesn’t stop with the mortgage payment. Every month your utility bills can be lowered as much as 30% compared to non-ENERGY STAR homes. That equates to a savings of hundreds of dollars every year.
3. Air Sealing provides comfort and save money
You’ll notice the red and blue arrows on the illustration. These indicate potential sites of air leakage in your home. What’s wrong with air leakage? Simply put, where you have air leakage, you have wasted energy and money literally flying out the door. An ENERGY STAR requirement is for these air leaks to be sealed, from top to bottom. Whether it be in the ceiling, the walls, or the floor, your house is very air tight, meaning the air that is heated and cooled within your home…stays in your home, where it belongs.
4. Thermal Envelope homes are more comfortable
Think of your home as a big, insulated box. An ENERGY STAR home ensures that the insulation around your home is complete and without any gaps or breaks. This means the conditioned air within your stays inside – keeping you more comfortable.
5. High HERS Ratings
The HERS rating, or Home Energy Rating System, was developed as a national standard to score the energy efficiency of a home. The lower the score, the more efficient your home is. A HERS rating is part of an ENERGY STAR certification – look for it on the blue, ENERGY STAR label located inside your electrical box.
6. Better Duct Work saves money
The duct work within the home is like branches providing conditioned air to the home and bringing it back to the HVAC system. ENERGY STAR has set strict maximum leakage rates for the duct ensure that the heated or cooled air gets to the inside of your home, where is supposed to go. This means no wasted energy, and no wasted money on bills.
7. HVAC for comfort and efficiency
Your heating, ventilation, and air condition, or HVAC system, is the largest consumer of gas and electricity in your home. ENERGY STAR takes this so seriously, the HVAC contractor hired for your home has additional certification just from ENERGY STAR. This home has a properly sized system, meaning the air within your home, also called the “conditioned space”, is more consistent, thus eliminating hot and cold spots. There is also a high efficiency filter, removing practically all contaminants, pollutants, and allergens from the indoor air.
These are the BENEFITS FOR OUR HOMEOWNERS according to Energy Star:
- "Proven Value & Energy Savings: Better energy efficiency and performance means lower utility and maintenance costs. Homes earning the ENERGY STAR label use 15-30 percent less energy than typical new homes, and even more when compared to most resale homes on the market today.
- Peace of Mind: Tried-and-true best building practices followed by independent inspections and testing from certified professionals mean that you can be confident that things were done right.
- Enduring Quality: Value-adding energy efficiency features and a combination of materials and equipment deliver better performance and an overall superior level of quality.
- Wall-to-Wall Comfort: You’ll see, feel, and hear the difference of a heating and cooling system that has been engineered and installed to efficiently deliver comfort. Enjoy consistent temperatures across every room and a constant supply of fresh, filtered air reducing indoor pollutants, dust, pollen, and other allergens."